There are legendary brands in the car industry that died in the competition under the onslaught of the market economy, but they are deservedly remembered and appreciated. So, the name of the Studebaker with its Regal Commander will forever be perpetuated in the history of the world automotive industry.
Source: Studebaker National Museum Archives
When the First World War began, the largest manufacturer of horse-drawn carriages, Studebaker Company, fulfilled orders from the Entente countries – the Russian Imperial, US, and Great Britain’s Armies. The company made sanitary and cargo wagons, gun carriages, and wheels for them. Such a rich experience smoothly turned the “Horse” era in the history of the company into the mass production of cars, even though wagons and other “horse accessories” continued to be produced until 1920.
After the introduction of the first electric car in 1902, and two years later – a gasoline car, the subsidiary Studebaker Automobile Company was founded.
In the era of the “Roaring 20s” and the Great Depression, the company had hardships, but it is during that time that Studebaker’s masterpieces were born, forever remaining in the history of the automobile industry.
In 1920, the company produced only six-cylinder cars. Those cars produced by the company were known as Big Six, Special Six, Light Six, and Standard Six, developing 40 bhp (30 kW; 41 PS), 50 bhp (37 kW; 51 PS), and 60 bhp (45 kW; 61 PS) respectively at 2000 rpm. However, with the release of a new model line in 1927, traditional technical names were replaced by more presentable ones like President, Commander, and Dictator.
In 1928, the new design chief Barney Roos created an 8-cylinder engine for the President. In 1929, Dictator (produced 1925-37) and Commander (produced 1927-52) also became equipped with 8-cylinder engines.
Source: Shannon’s Insurance
1928 model was magnificently finished in the newest color combination accentuated by the contrasting panel. The deep, form-fitting seats were upholstered in mohair, soft as velvet. The car was furnished with an upholstered footrest, armrest, silk assist cards, door panels of two-tone finish, chromium-plated headlamps and cowl lamps, and hydraulic shock absorbers, front, and rear. Each Regal was equipped with a coincidental steering-ignition lock, no-draft ventilating windshield, hydrostatic gasoline gauge and engine thermometer on the dash, and hydraulic shock absorbers.
The interiors of this remarkable car were luxurious and details of the finish were in the latest custom mode of the late 20s. Wide, deeply cushioned seats invited you to relax, and springs with hydraulic shock absorbers provided luxurious riding comfort. The hardware was in Butler silver finish. The instruments were grouped in a rectangular frame of dull silver and indirectly illuminated.
A running mate of the 1928 model traveled 25 000 miles in less than 25 000 minutes – a brilliant demonstration of super endurance and speed!
“World Champion” 1928 Regal Commander
The 1928 Commander was the successor of the Big Six and featured a proven 5.8 L (354 ccs) engine modified to produce 75 bhp. (56 kW; 76 hp) at 2400 rpm. October 1928 was an important year for the model: it managed to surpass the previously set Auburn straight-eight Speedster record by 15,000 miles (24,000 km) (64.25 mph). Two 1928 Commanders accelerated to an average speed of up to 65 miles per hour (105 km / h) over a distance of 25,000 miles, thereby setting new records. Durability and strength have served well and made the 1928 model famous throughout the world. As mentioned earlier, after 1929 Studebaker cars received an 8-cylinder engine. And the 1928 Commander-sixes were the last descendants of rugged cars designed for bad roads in the early 20th century, with powerful torque and solid construction.
To see the car please visit our website and check out our inventory!